Managing your manager is perhaps one of the most challenging aspects of the work world today. In this workshop you will learn about the four poor upward managing types you want to avoid: The Brown-Noser; The Rebellious Teenager; The Cowardly Lion; and the Erupting Volcano. You will also learn some tips for upward managing like how to understand your boss, being specific about what you need, and not managing upward at the expense of managing downward. The workshop will cover a problem solving model that will help you see aspects of the issue that you might have missed before you have the conversation. Participants will go through a specific model for having these challenging conversations and role play their own scenarios.
What you will learn:
- Learn when to manage your manager and when to cool your heels
- Explore best practices in upward management
- Learn how to problem solve before having the conversation
- Counteract your own confirmation bias
- Give effective upward feedback without blame or judgment